Platform Developer x 2
Location: London, South Bank - WeWork
Sector: Cloud, Infrastructure, eCommerce, Magento, Shopware, DevOps, SRE
Position Type: Full-time & Permanent
Start date: Flexible
Responsible To: Chief Architect
Note to recruiters: On this occasion we will NOT be working with recruiters.
What is Akoova?
Akoova provides K-Hosting, a managed cloud hosting platform for online retailers running on Magento, such as Graze, Time Out, O'Neills, Piazza Italia, Byredo, Swoon Editions and Dover Street Market.
The core of everything we do is based on Respect for People. We don’t show respect by empowering people and letting them get on with their job. We show respect by challenging each one of us every step of the way.
What is your opportunity?
As one of the early team members, you will participate in the evolution and management of the Akoova platform (K-Hosting) where you’ll find many opportunities to apply and refine your operations and development skills.
Nothing you do will go to waste. If something doesn’t work out, we learn from it. If it does, it will quickly find its way to production. Part of the challenge is to move quickly without breaking things, and you’ll help to build the tools and processes to keep that a reality. Building on AWS means we can rapidly evolve the platform that we’re constantly improving.
You will help Akoova redefine what online retailers should expect from their hosting partner.
- Developing and operating our fully-automated infrastructure on AWS.
- Building internal tools to deliver infrastructure changes quickly and safely
- Building customer-facing tools (for self-service and administration).
- Using your problem-solving skills to continuously improve our platform.
- A vital part of a small company, founded by an experienced technical team.
This role participates in our on-call rota (1 week in 6). Improving the on-call experience (by eliminating sources of on-call events, and building tools to aid response) is a responsibility of the entire team.
- Driven to fix problems once - not satisfied with fixing symptoms, you want to find the cause of the problem and prevent it from happening.
- Prior experience developing/operating SaaS/PaaS platforms.
- Want to work in a small company - no hiding in silos behind ticketing systems, you’re comfortable talking to people to make things happen (or learning how to do it yourself!)
- Good written communication skills.
- You’re already experienced with some of the desirable, and are interested in learning more.
- AWS. We use EC2, RDS, S3, ElastiCache, ALB, SES, Route 53 etc…
- Experience with configuration management - we use Chef, but your experience can be with other tools.
- Experience with cloud provisioning tools (eg. Cloudformation, Terraform, chef-provisioning, Ansible cloud modules, etc).
- Solved service discovery in production (especially with Consul or Etcd).
- Continuous Integration, automated testing, aspirations to continuous deployment.
- Prior experience working in e-commerce (particularly with Magento or Shopware).
- Able to read and debug PHP (for supporting Magento and Shopware).
- Product infrastructure code using Ruby or Python.
- Confident and keen to communicate directly with clients, partners and developers.
- You enjoy and value problem-solving.
Although we expect that most applicants will have a background in system administration, we encourage operationally-minded developers to apply, we are building a platform!
The hiring process
Initially you will have a telephone conversation with Zac, co-founder and Chief Architect of Akoova, to make sure there is a fit both ways. You will then be interviewed by some team members and the two co-founders. We see this as a two-way process; we will put you through your technical paces to ensure we are happy with your skills as well as to ensure you are happy with the role's challenges, the purpose of the company and what we are trying to achieve. We will also take you out for lunch or drinks (your choice), allowing us to get to know each other a little more in a more relaxed environment. We will be looking for fit at different levels: cultural, attitude, skills and abilities.
Please DO NOT apply unless you are already in the UK, or able to confirm that you are relocating here. This is an on-site position and working remotely most of the time is not an option. Unfortunately we are unable to offer work permit assistance at this stage.
- £50k-85k depending on your experience
- Share options
- Top spec MacBook Pro (or equivalent)
- Your weekly healthy Graze snack
- 25 Days Holiday
- We invest in your growth
- Private Medical insurance
- Life and critical illness cover
- An awesome office and environment at WeWork - near the OXO tower - with great view, community vibe, free coffee, cookies and beer on tap.
- The chance to make a huge impact in a small but ambitious company with a very strong product, where the commitment to building a Lean culture is a key competitive advantage. We are fortunate to be supported by the Fathers of Lean and Lean Startup, respectively Daniel Jones and Eric Ries.
Is it for you?
Please Apply online or send your CV to <[email protected]>
Note to recruiters
On this occasion we will NOT be working with recruiters on this role. Please do not call.